By default, when you create a new MailChimp list, three contact data fields are added; email address, first name and last name. For segmentation purposes most of us require more data so that we may target our email campaigns more effectively.
Two common ways of adding MailChimp fields
There are a few ways that a new field may be added to your MailChimp list. The most common is by adding a new field when performing an import of subscribers from Microsoft Excel or a CSV file. The other popular means of adding a new field is by adding a field in the Form Builder.
There is a third way to add a new subscriber field which is far quicker that the two ways described previously.
The quickest way to add a MailChimp field
Here are the instructions to add a new field to your MailChimp list through list settings.
- Login to MailChimp and click Lists (near the top of the page).
- Click the list name to which you require a new field.
- Click Settings then List fields and *|MERGE|* tags.
- Scroll to the bottom of the page and click Add A Field.
- Select the type of field you require.
- Change the name of the field from Untitled and click Save Changes.
You now have a new field in your list.