Through my MailChimp consulting and training I’ve met with thousands of people that use MailChimp. A questions that I get asked often is if there is limit in MailChimp as to the number of allowed lists.
The answer is that there is no limit to the number of lists however, for reasons described below, the aim should be to have only one list and to segment that list rather than have multiple lists of subscribers. Segments are incredibly powerful and there are few customers that I’ve met that haven’t been able to use only a single list.
Reasons to use only one MailChimp list
Here are the top reasons why you should only have one contact list in MailChimp:
- You may break the law: When a person unsubscribes, they do so at the list level (not account level). If a person is in two lists then you may unknowingly send them a campaign from the second list.
- MailChimp bills per email address: If you have the same email address in multiple lists then you will be billed multiple times for the same subscriber.
- Reporting is at the list and campaign levels: It will be difficult to get an accurate picture of historic open and click rates if you have multiple lists.
- Campaigns may not be sent to multiple lists: If you want to send an email campaign to all subscribers and have multiple lists then you’ll need to send multiple campaigns.
- Most integrations connect to a single list only: Whether you use WooCommerce, Shopify or any other integration into MailChimp, you’ll usually only be able to connect to a single MailChimp list.
How do I combine my existing MailChimp lists
If you do have multiple lists then the two simple ways of combining lists are to:
- Combine your lists in MailChimp or
- Export your lists and combine the subscriber data in Microsoft Excel and then import the subscribers into a new list (and delete the old lists).
The second option described above if far safer is you have data fields (columns) that are different in the lists. By using the second option above you will however lose historic reporting data.
If you need assistance with combining lists then I can help.