For ages I’ve been trying to find a good way to show my Google+ stream on my WordPress Website. There are numerous Plugins and Widgets for showing Twitter, Facebook and other Social Media services updated but just not for my favorite service, Google+. I’ve found a really simple means of showing your Google+ feed in a widget area, Page or Post and it takes only a few minutes to setup.
Why Google Plus
I regularly speak to groups of people about Websites (particularly about WordPress), social media and Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Social Media always is discussed and I always get asked which Social Media service is the most beneficial to use (from a business benefits perspective). Social Media takes alot of time and generally small business owners just don’t have the time to run multiple social media channels. So which one service is best to use; Facebook, Linkedin, Twitter …. Google+ is the answer!
Google+ has come along and incorporate all the best parts of all the big Social media services into one. Move over Facebook, Myspace (who?), Twitter, foursquare and others. Now, there is just one Social Media service that small business owners need to use and the added advantage is that using Google+ may help your SEO. Although Google+ isn’t that big in Australia yet it is going the be the most important of all Social Media services soon.
Instructions: show Google updates/Stream in WordPress
In summary, we are going to install a Plugin that will display a Google+ stream. We’ll then show the stream in a Widget, Page or Post.
1. Install and activate the WP-Lifestream 2 Plugin
2. Look for Lifestream in your WordPress dashboard left column and go through the various settings and change to your preferances
3. Go to Lifestream -> Feeds and click the Google+ option to add a Google+ Stream. Once added you’ll see something similar to:
4. To add your Lifestream to a Page or Post just save the following shortcode in the Page or Post.
5. To add your Stream to a widget area just add the Lifestream widget to a Widget area.
That’s it. Your latest Google Plus updates will show on your WordPress Blog or Website automatically.
Oh, one last step …. follow me on Google+